Our Design Offerings
In addition to leading the year long Permaculture Design Course, Catherine and Neville Dunton-McLeod are happy to do design work for properties between Waihi and Papamoa, including the areas around Tauranga, Omokoroa and Katikati. If you live outside this area, contact us and we’ll try to refer you to another quality designer.
A permaculture inspired design can save you time, money and resources, while producing a bounty of organic food. The design process is as much about you and your lifestyle as it is about the land. We work with your wish list, skills, time, taste and budget. We then consider the property itself – soil type, weather exposure, slopes, plants, water and buildings to produce aesthetic and functional designs which won’t just feed you with minimal effort, they’ll save you money and improve the quality of your home by cooling your house in summer and letting light through in winter.
We are comfortable with the following types of design work:
- Hobby Farm
- Small farm
- Property pre-purchase Assessment
We are very much a part of the permaculture community here in the BOP and are happy to refer you to another designer if we cannot get to you soon enough or if you need a special design focus which might include:
- Large Farm
- Urban Living
We start with a Concept Design Consultancy
You contact us to arrange a suitable time for a consultancy visit. One or two of us arrive, and after saying hello, we:
- Sit down with you, and ideally everyone who has concern for the site, (kids, roommates) to discuss your time, energy and financial budgets, what you would like from the site and what elements you would like included in the design, which might include:
- Herbs gardens supplying food, flavor, tea and medicine
- Diverse and productive organic veggie and fruit gardens
- Soil building: Compost bays, worm farms, carbon growing
- Poultry systems
- Orchards and food forests
- Maximum efficiency watering systems including storage and distribution
- Fertility enhancing tree, plant and animal systems
- No-dig and raised garden beds using natural contours to full advantage
- Beautiful and functional mandala gardens
- Ponds for growing water plants and to attract helpful creature and birds to your garden
- Waste water treatment and utilization systems (e.g. greywater mulch pits where biologically filtered water from your laundry and shower irrigates fruit trees)
- Renewable energy systems: solar, solar thermal, wind and microhydro
- Native bird habitat, wildlife corridor
- Human centered places – lawns to gather and run around, outdoor chairs and tables, fire pits, areas for contemplation, scented or secret gardens.
- Magical areas for children
- Safe places for pets
- Walk around your property without you, observing and assessing the characteristics of the site (e.g. sun, wind, slope, existing vegetation, water flows) in an unbiased way.
- Come up with a concept design and a rough pencil sketch based on our site analysis and the design brief.
- Re-walk the site with you, sharing our preliminary concept design and inviting your feedback and any prior design ideas you have had.
- Send by email a computer-rendered design diagram that is to scale and that lays out the basic concept design plus a follow-up report summarizing our people and site analysis, design recommendations, and possible next steps.
Our fee for this consultancy is $500 inc. GST, a $300 deposit payable in advance. Large or complex properties may require more time and a higher fee. A travel fee of .70 per k is also requested. Prior to our arriving we ask that you and your family complete a wish list of things that you would like to include in your design and the time you have each week to maintain the system.
The next step:
Every client, property and design is different. Some people prefer to live with the concept design for a while, trying it on, tweaking it, wondering if parts could be better, moved, repositioned. Others would like us to move directly to a detailed design consultancy. We’ll let you decide if you are happy with your design and done with us, or if you’d like us back. During this period we charge an hourly rate of $40 and .70 per k travel.
At some point we get to: A Detailed Design Consultancy
During the Detailed Design Consultancy, in which two of us spend up to four hours on site generating an accurate, to scale base map and design, including particular kinds of plants and generally much more detail. We deliver a 10-15 page report with as much helpful detail as we can pack in. Our fee for this consultancy is $950 inc. GST. Large or complex properties may require more time and a higher fee.
To save time, we ask that prior to our arriving you consider and complete a list of things that you would like to include in your design and the time you have each week to maintain the system.
Note: We are happy to include an additional hour of answering questions and talking with you through the implementation of your design over time.
Please get in touch with us by email to set up a day and time to visit.
Using our secure online checkout below allows you to pay by either bank deposit or credit card via Paypal
|Concept Design Consultancy – Full Payment|
|Concept Design Consultancy – Deposit|
|Concept Design Consultancy – Balance
|Detailed Design Consultancy|