Our Design Offerings
In addition to leading the year long Permaculture Design Course, Catherine and Neville Dunton-McLeod are happy to do design work for properties between Waihi and Papamoa, including the areas around Tauranga, Omokoroa and Katikati. If you live outside this area, contact us and we’ll try to refer you to another quality designer.
A permaculture inspired design can save you time, money and resources. The design process is as much about you and your lifestyle as it is about the land. We work with your wish list, skills, time, taste and budget. We then consider the property itself – soil type, weather exposure, slopes, plants, water and buildings. Our aim is to produce aesthetic and functional designs which won’t just feed you with minimal effort, but will include all the possible items off your wish list, well located within the microclimates and landscape of your property.
Many couples contact us because they disagree on where things will go, or the chosen aesthetic of the place. Most couples we have worked with find that disagreements, “stuck spots” smooth out once we all get into the concept design process together.
We are comfortable with the following types of design work:
- Lifestyle block
- Property pre-purchase Assessment
We are very much a part of the permaculture community here in the BOP and are happy to refer you to another designer if we cannot get to you soon enough or if you need a special design focus which might include:
- Large Farm
- Urban Living
Concept Design Consultancy
Here’s how working with us usually goes:
- You contact us and we have a preliminary phone chat about working together.
- If it’s a “go”, we send you some “homework” over email: questions, requests for photos, wish lists, etc., so that we can get to know you and any other stakeholders.
- Once we’ve received all your homework, we’ll arrange a suitable time to visit your property.
- After saying hello, we sit down with you, (and ideally everyone who has concern for the site, (kids, roommates)) to discuss anything else not covered in the homework, and to hear directly from you what you would like from the site and what elements you would like included in the design, which might include:
- Diverse and productive organic veggie and fruit gardens
- Soil building: Compost bays, worm farms, carbon growing
- Poultry systems
- Orchards and food forests
- Maximum efficiency watering systems including storage and distribution
- Fertility enhancing tree, plant and animal systems
- No-dig and raised garden beds using natural contours to full advantage
- Beautiful and functional mandala gardens
- Ponds for growing water plants and to attract helpful creature and birds to your garden
- Waste water treatment and utilization systems (e.g. greywater mulch pits where biologically filtered water from your laundry and shower irrigates fruit trees)
- Renewable energy systems: solar, solar thermal, wind and microhydro
- Native bird habitat, wildlife corridor
- Human centered places – lawns to gather and run around, outdoor chairs and tables, fire pits, areas for contemplation, scented or secret gardens.
- Magical areas for children
- Safe places for pets
- Herbs gardens supplying food, flavor, tea and medicine
- Informed by this discussion, we then walk around your property without you, observing and assessing the characteristics of the site (e.g. sun, wind, slope, existing vegetation, water flows) in an unbiased way.
- During this walk, we start to come up with a rough pencil “bubble” sketch.
- We then usually re-walk the site with you during that same visit, sharing our preliminary concept design and inviting your feedback.
- Back home, we create a design diagram that lays out our basic concept design plus a report summarizing our people and site analysis, design recommendations, and possible next steps.
Our fee for this consultancy is $500 inc. GST, a $300 deposit payable in advance. Large or complex properties may require more time and a higher fee. A travel fee of .70 per k is also requested.
After the Concept Design:
Every client, property and design is different. Some people prefer to live with the concept design for a while, trying it on, tweaking it, wondering if parts could be better, moved, repositioned. You can invite us back to re engage with the concept design: “What if we moved this here or regrouped this with that….”
Detailed Design Consultancy
Other clients would like us to move directly to a detailed design on one or more areas of the property. You might want a detailed design of the land right around your home. Or perhaps you want an orchard or forest garden design – getting those trees in now so you’ll have fruit all the sooner. Or maybe you are building or renovating your home and would like our help making sure you make the best building and energy choices from a resiliency and permaculture perspective. If your main interest is growing food, we’ll create an aesthetic and practical gardening and edible landscape design you can start to implement ASAP.
The detailed design consultancy phase usually requires another 2-4 hour visit per area. We then get back to our desks and generate an accurate, to scale base map and design, including particular kinds of plants, exact locations and generally much more detail. We deliver a 5-10 page report with as much helpful detail as we can pack in. Our fee for this consultancy an hourly rate of $40 and .70 per k travel. Large or complex properties may require more time and a higher fee.
Note: We are happy to include an additional hour of answering questions and talking with you through the implementation of your design over time.
Please get in touch with us by email to set up a day and time to visit.
Using our secure online checkout below allows you to pay by either bank deposit or credit card via Paypal
|Concept Design Consultancy – Full Payment|
|Concept Design Consultancy – Deposit|
|Concept Design Consultancy – Balance